Unique Object ref?

Johan Fabry johan.fabry at vub.ac.be
Wed Jul 12 08:49:58 UTC 2000

Lex Spoon wrote:

> Yeah, you're probably gonna be stuck writing your own registry of
> objects.  When an object goes out, you just put it in a table and assign
> it an ID.

There are only so many ways to skin the proverbial cat ;-)

> The immediate question that comes up is, when does an entry get
> *removed* from the table?  Isn't a pain to handle the distributed memory
> allocation?  Yes, it is, but in fact you have to face this problem
> anyway, and most solutions will involve *some* sort of registry anyway.
>
> Good luck.  Last time I worked on a distributed object system, I just
> didn't clear the tables, and didn't run any demos long enough that
> memory ran out.  It was okay for demos.  :)

First I want to get the basic system up and running (almost there now),
after that I'll handle garbage collection. I can do simple reference
counting (I think I can use Object>>finalize for that), which will allow
some basic distributed GC. The big problem with reference counting is
mutual references between objects, so I'll probably need to amend this
at some point ... I'll have to dig into (distributed) GC'ers to see how
I can fix that.

"You are more than the sum       Johan Fabry - Johan.Fabry at vub.ac.be
 of what you consume.            Vrije Universiteit Brussel
 Desire is not an occupation."   Programming Technology Lab, Room 10F709
  -- KMFDM                       Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium