Squeak running on OS9

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Jul 9 03:50:51 UTC 2000

on 7/8/00 8:09 PM, aaron at reic0024 at d.umn.edu wrote:

>> Is that a carbonized version of Squeak?  I vaguely remember a
>> discussion of carbonizing Squeak for OS X, but don't remember if
>> anyone was working on it.  Any info on that?  Would carbonzing Squeak
>> be particularly challenging?
>
> The Mac OS 9 version is not carbonized, to my knowledge.  There is a
> port
> to Mac OS X Server which uses Cocoa, but my preliminary attempt at
> getting
> it going on Mac OS X DP4 have not been fruitful.
>
> I wouldn't imagine carbonizing Squeak would be hard.
>
>> -Eric
>
> Aaron

I've been looking into this. One of the main issues is the MIDI and serial
port management, most of the issues with porting lie in these areas. Alas
these aren't trivial to convert, actually support for MIDI stuff seems to be
lacking! There also is an issue with playing sound from double buffers.  But
then again this all just takes a free day or three.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6