True multithreading, a la the Java VM???

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Tue Jun 6 21:37:07 UTC 2000

Stephen Pair wrote:

> Right, I just thought the specification might have something to say about
> how OS threads are used, given that it could have a big impact on code
> portability...isn't Java code supposed to be portable?

You said it: supposed.

Porting (write once, test everywhere) threaded applications between
native and non-native threaded Java VMs is a lot of fun.

The interesting thing in the Java VM spec though is (IIRC) that the
scheduling of threads is not specified. Which basically means it is not
guarantied to behave the same on all platforms.

Michael