BCPL Needs => Free C and ASM

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 09:31:29 UTC 2000

All--

Can anyone recommend free C and Asm resources for either Mac or Windows
platforms. I downloaded the BCPL material, and it looks like it will require
some grunge work to get it going [one of those times when I wish I had a
Linux system up -- next week -- LOL ].

It was a delight to see a site (www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/mr/) well laid out,
which is what I would expect from Martin. He was on a sabbatical at IBM
Research in the early '70s, and I succeeded him in being the 'keeper of the
keys' for his port of BCPL to VM/CMS. He had left everything in perfect order
for me to take over. I continued to use this BCPL until I left IBM in 1993
(20 years, pretty good record for durability).

I build a theorem prover (for Effigy [symbolic execution] headed by Jim King)
in a personally modified BCPL. BCPL was written in BCPL, still a somewhat
novel concept at the time [though the Fortran H was the originator (I had
worked on that {I/O packages in S/360 assembler language} in 1965)]. It did
have a primitive package (jeez, I wonder where that came from ... ) written
in assembler, which is what Martin had ported.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jerry.

Jerry L. Archibald