Squeak as an "Active Desktop"

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com
Tue Jun 13 13:52:23 UTC 2000

>When creating new Screen Shot page, I was struck by the fact that I didn't
>see any there of Squeak being used as an Active Desktop. I've been using
this
>for a while. ...
>By use of the "full screen on" appearance in Squeak, we can use Squeak as
an
>"Active Desktop" when running on the various Windows platforms. When in
this
>mode, we can access other Windows facilities through use of the Windows
>"Start Button". However Squeak is fully active, and you can execute Squeak

If you run Squeak in your "active desktop" by using the full screen mode
you cant access the normal desktop icons. An active desktop in the m$-world
is a web page used on the windows desktop background.

I think it is better to build a webpage containing the squeak Active/X
control
(working on a local image) and adding this page full screen as a new
M$-ActiveDesktop Item.
So Squeak is a desktop background, but it won't hide the normal desktop
icons and you can
use squeak and windows together.

See http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/sqactivedesktop.gif for a
short preview.

How to do it:
=============
Right click on your windows desktop background and select 'Active Desktop'
and
'New Desktop Item...'. Enter the location of your web page containing the
control. You can use http://wwwisg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/plugin/
for a test.

If you want to know how to use Squeak as an activeX Control see
http://www.sugarweb.com/Web/Squeak/howTo.htm or
http://wwwisg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/plugin/

Bye
Torsten