Newton port !

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Mon Jun 26 08:24:01 UTC 2000

Raymond-

Sorry to disappoint, but the Newton port is more or less shelved for a
variety of reasons. (That's why I wrote " working towards".)

However, now that embedded Squeak exists,
   http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/squeak/
it might be "relatively" easy (a few days work for a knowledgeable
person in the Newton tools) to merge embedded Squeak with the shell I
wrote for a Newton Forth (itself based on the Squeak work). But the
result would only let you evaluate Squeak expressions in the notepad --
it would not be the whole Squeak GUI system, and so would be mostly just
a proof of concept or amusement. I'd actually try this for fun (and to
say it was finally finished!) but unfortunately my main Mac (Quadra 630)
hard drive died during a cross-country move and I haven't had the
time/energy to resurrect it from backups.

Also, one of the reasons I didn't pursue it was the realization people
really love their Newts and use them for useful stuff. Notes (from
usenet?) on the Apple C++ tools warn you that if you poke around you can
trash the Newt so bad it has to go back to the factory for a special
reset. I don't think this will be likely to happen, but it might. Also,
it is easy via code to trash the soups. Also, the port is most feasible
on an expanded eMate or MP2100. A lesser Newt might not have enough room
in the C heap (although embedded Squeak might fit.)

If you (or someone else) is interested in working on it, you'd need a
Mac to do the C++ compiles, you'd need to get the Newton C compiler and
development tools (available on the net somewhere I think), and would
need to integrate the embedded Squeak concepts into the hand coded C++
version of the VM (which is for ~ Squeak 1.22) or redo the latest VM in
C++ by hand (or enhance the C generation) (no globals allowed in Newton
C). I can send you an email (215K) I sent someone else with the modified
Squeak source as far as I got (it compiles!). It would take a little
longer to dig up the latest source for the latest shell made for Newton
Forth (although the note includes NewtonScript code for a simpler one to
start with.) [By the way, Newton Forth is actually written entirely in
NewtonScript, and based on eForth by Bill Muench; I'd need his approval
to distribute the Forth part.] After you got embedded Squeak working
without a GUI, then you could move onto fancier things (and wrestling
with lots of Newt issues documented on the list around late 1997) if you
wanted.

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com