We will not catch flies with vinegar!!!

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 23 10:21:28 UTC 2000

Karl Goiser <squeak at wattle.net> wrote:
> This is one of the things that really puts me off about Squeak.  For
> example, I'll select a piece of text for copying and if I don't have
> the mouse in the window the text is in, the copy won't work - it
> doesn't act like I would expect.  Now, I know this is something that
> can be 'fixed', however, it is characteristic of the whole user
> interface and I'm sure it puts other people off as well.

By the way, this behavior is actually *expected* by a lot of XWindows
users: under many X setups, you have to keep pointing to a window to use
it.

More broadly, let's keep in mind that only a subset of the people
interested in Squeak actually want the UI to look like what people are
used to.  Many others want to make a completely new interface for
computers, and those people shouldn't worry too much about what common
systems of today are doing.

-Lex