About the new syntax

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jun 8 13:01:17 UTC 2000

Hi Dan

Did Kim tried the new syntax with kids?

It would be good to evaluate (two groups one we the normal and one with new)
if the new syntax is better.

What is the process that you are planning to put in place to evaluate the
effectivness of the new syntax?

Only how we react or also kids?

>From the experience we have with kids here. They do not have any problems
with the old syntax.

We only presented:
	| caro length|
	caro _ Turtle new.
	length _ 10
	caro trace.
	caro go: 100.
	100 timesRepeat: [ caro turnLeft: 45.
			 caro go: length.
			 length _ length + 10].

	+ self in method

with all the underlying concepts (except class).
	We did not introduce (), cascade, block argument yet.

And they could write programs and debug themselves (for the syntactic)

Stef

Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.