We will not catch flies with vinager!!!

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Jun 20 18:49:18 UTC 2000

Hi all

I presented Squeak to one of my friend that is graphic designer
and I would like to report some of the discussions we got.

- He told me that Squeak could be a really good tool for designing
multi-media CDRom, in comparison of the tools that exist today.
He is creating CDROM every month so apparently even if he does not understand
programming he saw the PRATICAL potential of Squeak.
(However the way to get there will be long.)

- He told me that the first impression that he got by looking at Squeak
is really old fashioned, not professional and that if I would not have
there he would have stopped after few minutes.

He did not really understand why the look of Squeak has not been redesigned.
I showed him the work on the skins and on this transparency look and he was
much more positive.

I would like to stress here that Squeak must have a DECENT look
this is extremely important for newcomers and not only programmers
I guess that even kids feel it. I know that for technies the look
is not important, but even for me I think that working with something
that looks great gives me more positive energy.

So it could be interesting to have some alternative looks which
do not need too much extra code in the image and to select
one as the new look of Squeak and put it as DEFAULT in Squeak.

The work on the transparent look and the new MVC look that I saw
recently are really interesting.

I would like to have your point of view on this IMPORTANT point
Communication is everywhere!
Stef

--
Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.