www.squeakworld.com!

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 1 20:21:19 UTC 2000

>Is there an access control list based user management in Swiki already?

>--
>Stefan Matthias Aust             Projektleiter/Softwareentwicklung
>Baltic Online Computer GmbH,    Alter Markt 1-2,        24103 Kiel
>Fon: +49 (0) 431-54003-0 Fax: -99      http://www.baltic-online.de

I don't know because I don't know what that is :-)

We have had various protection schemes in Swiki.  (While only two
years old, it's evolved alot at Georgia Tech -- couple thousand
student and faculty users, over 120 Swikis, etc.)  We've tried some
where users had particular reading vs. writing vs. appending
capabilities.  In general, we've found them more interface trouble
than solving real problems.  Our current scheme is that:
- Any page can be locked with a password, and
- A whole Swiki can be placed behind user authentication

This works pretty well, but more advanced schemes are certainly
possible.  Of course, none of our users have tried to produce a news
site, so your demands may be greater.

Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu