[enh] faster updates

lex spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 7 00:43:27 UTC 2000

Every time someone starts a thread on update speed I have to sit on my
hands not to type a reply, because I figure it would be easier to
implement the idea than to explain and defend it.

The idea is that updates should be downloaded in a separate thread from
the one that is processing them.  Then, you don't have this annoying
back and forth between download and process.  The attached filein does
just this in a fairly simplistic fashion.

Does anyone out there with a modem care to try this?  Load it into
Squeak 2.7 or so and then stand updating--how fast does it go?

-Lex