Mac VM 2.8beta5 crash

Bruce ONeel beoneel at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 17 07:46:24 UTC 2000

Hi,
  I know this is really hard, and, at some level, silly to solve since
it seems silly to run servers when the machine goes to sleep.  The
first time was an accident, of course.

  I did poke a bit more.  My 540/ppc system works fine going to sleep
and then waking with TCP/IP set to use the ethernet.  What's amazing is
that when it wakes up PWS still serves.  That's quite impressive
cleanup!  It's remote only that seems to cause a problem.

  I also played with my iBook in this case and with Remote Only it hangs
in Squeak once it wakes back up.  The mouse moves but nothing else
works and mouse clicks are ignored (even force quit does nothing).
Set to use the ethernet it wakes up fine and again, PWS keeps serving.

 So, the summary for both systems is that both systems work fine
after sleep with TCP/IP set to ethernet and PWS keeps serving. When
one uses Remote Only the 540/PPC crashes to macsbugs and the iBook
just hangs hard. I don't have macsbugs installed on the iBook though.

System config

540/PPC 7.6.1 w OpenTransport 1.1.2
iBook MacOS Z1-9.0 (Intl English) with what ever version of OT came
with that version.  The version number on the TCP/IP control panel
is 2.5 and Remote Only is from ARA Server 3.5.

BTW, I tried the version of Remote Only from the iBook on the 540 and
nothing changes.

Don't sweat this one too hard.  It's not a big deal for me and I'll bet
that few others encounter it :-)

Thanks very much for doing the OpenTransport bits though.  I looked
at this a while back and decided that it would be very hard for me
to do.  Plus I didn't think of all the systems one should check it on.

Thanks and cheers!

bruce