[OT] RE: We will not catch flies with vinager!!!

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 21 07:32:01 UTC 2000

> yes, this is yet another reason to have one in Squeak

I really don't like splash screens.  Especially if a program starts up
quickly--which Squeak does-- splash screens are pointless bragging.
Let's make a happy experience for users, but let's skip the annoying
splash screen.  Instead, let's focus on having a very nice *initial*
screen for users to look at.

Also, let's stay away from double clicks if we can.  While they are very
natural to some posters, they aren't to others.  More importantly,
double clicks are hard to do when you want to, and easy to do when you
don't.  It's much better if you can make double clicks either
unnecessary or at least make them access some unusal functionality.

Anyway, my two cents is that we need to define what exactly te *purpose*
of the Squeak UI should be.  Right now, there are about three:

	1. programming in Squeak

	2. running and using programs we've written

	3. building EToys

Each of these will probably have different concerns.  For example, the
final category probably won't have SystemWindows at all!

-Lex