We will not catch flies with vinager!!!

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Jun 21 15:49:05 UTC 2000

> >I agree with you.  This seems to be a commonly stated view on this list, but
> >there seems to be some kind of historical momentum built up which is not
> >going away in a hurry.  On one level that is fair enough too if that is what
> >the people who do the work want (the open source do it yourself philosophy).
>
> This is a mistaken view.  Nobody thinks that Squeak "needs" to look
> any way.  Its just that everyone has a different view as to what are
> the priorities.  The vast majority of contributors here are
> interested in the "innards," knowing they are capable of making it
> look any way they want for meaningful application cases.
>
> Whether or not the failure to see what Squeak can be "made to be" in
> terms of appearance is a failure of imagination, the real bottom line
> is this:  If you don't like how it looks, fix it!

Thanks for the failure :( I was just about dreaming about a possible Squeak
look that give energy to people.

This is too easy to say do it!  Since I'm working in Smalltalk everybody say
that:  Just do it then what everybody is doing his own cool goody great!  So if
you are not interested to have a real look and prefer innards this is ok for me.
I'm personaly not a UI guy but more meta and compiler driven so what!!!!!!!!
This is not the point!!

THE POINT IS : lot of people have already made some good stuff.
and a selection phase could occur to select some
Squeak look and feel that are qui te more beautiful than the basic
old fashioned GUI.

> That is the mantra of the Open Source movement.  Squeak is whatever
> you want it to be.  There are many widget sets out there, and many
> ways to duplicate existing OS looks and feel.  Rewriting MacOS or
> Windows isn't really of interest to some, but may be to others.
>
> If you are one of the others, by all means, please do it.
>
> The long and short of it is this -- in an open source project, the
> community decides its priorities, but on an individual by individual
> basis.  We all have different views what things should be done next.
> If yours is pretty widgets, make 'em.
>
> That's the open source way.
> --
> Andrew C. Greenberg		acg at netwolves.com
> V.P. Eng., R&D, 		813.885.2779 (office)
> Netwolves Corporation		813.885.2380 (facsimile)
> www.netwolves.com
>
> Please use werdna at mucow.com instead of werdna at gate.net

Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.