A different way of doing Smalltalk development (was: Tales of Dying Objects)

Mats Nygren nygren at sics.se
Mon Jun 19 15:14:55 UTC 2000

Paul McCullough <paulmc at ftconnect.com> wrote:
> I read with great interest Stefan's (and Paul Fernhout's et al) postings
> re: making a small image.
>
> [many things about this]
>
> I have some spare cycles coming up. I am seeking others who think this an
> interesting goal to pursue and are willing to commit to making it happen.
>
> Cheers,
> paul

I support this.

Some notes:

- Compare with Python, they had modularity as a starting point, and have
made a good design.

- While I have stopped my part of the discussion on this, I am still
working on making the syntax a module of the system.
I will release a version of this later this year. I would apprecieate your
comment on that endeavour. (In private perhaps)

- I intend to make contributions on the C code generation. Part of that
will be to make the C code more modular. At present some of the files are
huge. 'interp.c' is 37607 lines. This kind of sets the scene.
An infrastructure for making modules work
together is needed. Again the Python folks have done some work.

- SqC is working towards modularity to.

/Mats