Independent projects in squeakville (or: the end of SqC's evil tyranny ;-)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sun Jun 4 02:18:49 UTC 2000

I agree heartily. I would greatly love to see equal (ok, *way more*
;)) effort put into producing tests for the base classes, as producing
documentation (e.g., class comments).

I do confess, however, although having read Kent Beck's testing paper, to
not having a very good sense of how to go about devising unit tests. I'm
hoping that both the Squeak Applications & Community book's chapter on XP,
and the book, Extreme Programming Installed (advance draft available on
the xprogramming.org site) will prove enlightening on these matters.

Not to mention the ANSI unit tests that Camp Smalltalk folk (applause
for Ralph Johnson) are producing.

To the end of getting more testing, I again urge the inclusion of the
SUnit framework into the main distribution. While I strongly (and have
used) the two versions which antedate the Camp Smalltalk effort, I must
push in favor of the Camp Smalltalk variant:

	http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/SUnit+Camp+Smalltalk
and
	http://ansi-st-tests.sourceforge.net/SUnit.html
		(Where the code may be gotten.)

as it is being developed simultaneous for every Smalltalk under the sun,
and a few under the moon, and which, I believe, the ANSI tests are
targeted.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.