Squeak as an "Active Desktop"

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Sat Jun 10 17:03:39 UTC 2000

>The Macintosh OS behaves differently, and makes access to other computer
>resources difficult when Squeak is in full screen mode.

Maybe, but there is an awful lot you can do to support that, and
integrate that support in Squeak, with Appletalk.

With MacOS X, and the introduction of a real and meaningful system
call to the Mach/BSD/Carbon-Cocoa world, it will be even better yet.
Ironically, all this is happening just after I took a position as VP
Eng., R&D of a company with most of its technology built over
FreeBSD, so with all I have learned I couldn't be more happy with
this state of affairs.

Change is burgeoning everywhere, just as the important things seem to
be staying the same.  Squeak is a wonderful, indeed exquisite
platform from which to explore and exploit those changes, once just a
few probes and tweaks are put into play.

My file of "neat idea" index cards has been burgeoning these days.
Andrew C. Greenberg		acg at netwolves.com
V.P. Eng., R&D, 		813.885.2779 (office)
Netwolves Corporation		813.885.2380 (facsimile)
www.netwolves.com