Squeak, NT, CGI and Microsofts web server?

Peter William Lount peter at smalltalk.org
Fri Jun 16 00:49:33 UTC 2000

Stefan Matthias Aust <sma at 3plus4.de> wrote:
>you probably don't want to run a 20+ MB program every time
> the user requests a CGI program.

I was planning to 'pare' down the squeak image to it's tinyest possible
size for running as a cgi program. I'm guessing that it can be reduced to a
meg or two. What do you think?

Even if I use the fast cgi protocol (http://www.fastcgi.com/) like you
suggested (which I think is an excellent idea) I still don't want hundreds
of big images loaded into memory. So I'll still have to reduce the image
to it's bare essentials by ejecting the GUI and other classes that are not
needed for running as an application server.

As for the persistence I'm planning on using XML to store the shared state
of the web site amoungst the running squeak images.

Peter