True multithreading, a la the Java VM???

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue Jun 6 21:37:43 UTC 2000

> >How does the Java VM make use of OS threads?  Does it create
> more OS threads
> >than processors?  That would be bad.
>
> The Java VM is a specification, not an implementation.  Different
> implementations do it different ways; everything from all Java
> threads in one OS thread, to one OS thread per Java thread, to
> as many OS threads as CPUs with Java threads scheduled within
> those threads.

Right, I just thought the specification might have something to say about
how OS threads are used, given that it could have a big impact on code
portability...isn't Java code supposed to be portable?

The third option seems to be the most sensible...which VMs take that
approach?  Could it be adopted by Squeak?  If so, what kind of effort would
it be?  What complications are there with that approach?

- Stephen