True multithreading, a la the Java VM???

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Tue Jun 6 22:43:26 UTC 2000

What I think _could_ be useful is to be able to have multiple instances
of ProcessorScheduler, each potentially mapped to a separate physical
processor on the host system -- how precisely this is accomplished in a
particular OS I leave to the interested implementer. ;-) I would assume
that native threads could accomplish this on most OSes capable of
actually using multiple cpus.

Within an instance of ProcessorScheduler, you should be able to work
with lightweight Squeak-native processes just as one does now. It
wouldn't normally be a matter of creating hundreds or thousands of these
instances - less than ten would probably be adviseable.

-- Dwight