Ship it with Squeak (fonts)

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Wed Jun 28 22:19:12 UTC 2000

At 07:45 26.06.00 -0400, Paul Fernhout wrote:
>Any hope of making these X11 fonts part of the standard 2.8 release and
>completely replacing the Apple fonts?

Not for 2.8 as it's feature-frozen (I hope).  There might be a change for
2.9 - I can't decide this.  I know however that SqC already mentioned that
they're looking for some way to replace the apple fonts.

BTW, as I understand the license of Microsoft's core web fonts (Arial,
Verdana, etc) which are freely available, you're not even allowed to supply
the bitmap.  You could however let every user generate automatically his
own strike font from the installed fonts and request the user to install
these fonts.  As truetype fonts are kind of standard and should work on
Mac/Unix (at least with a decent font server)/Windows, a few FFI calls per
platform might be enough.

This would be the way I'd go.  On platforms which natively support TTF
(Mac/Windows), there're absolutely no problems by using that support.  If
the Linux user wants to use freetype to have a ttf font server isn't my
problem.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf