macintosh forced termination

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Jun 13 05:24:00 UTC 2000

on 6/12/00 9:32 PM, Tim Rowledge at tim at sumeru.stanford.edu wrote:

> In message <B56AFCC3.9248%johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> you wrote:
>

>> Oh just one thing, if you force terminate (cmd-opt-esc) Squeak the network
>> stuff does not get unload and you WILL leak memory. There is a fix for that,
>> but it is a somewhat extraordinary hammer to hit a poor image with, so
>> don't.
> This is bad behaviour - is the module shutdown stuff not in the atexit()
> function list? Andreas & I carefully made it easy to call all the
> modules' shutdown behaviours; if the code isn't being run it could cause
> all sorts of resource leaks.
>
> tim

So what does atexit do on the macintosh do anyway. Since you were hoping
that would fix the issue. Ick lots of interesting things, seems there is a
problem here in how the macintosh application are being built, somehow the
termination logic that should call atexit doesn't get called. Some reading
is in order to chase this little gem down. Thanks Tim.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6