Ship it with Squeak

Georg Gollmann georg.gollmann at tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 27 07:36:12 UTC 2000

At 16:13 Uhr +0100 26.06.2000, Peter Crowther wrote:
>2) Deployment onto limited-memory computers.  I'm still aware of
>organisations where 32Mbyte P200s are unusually high-spec.  They're
>typically not going to want to sit 100 Mbytes of Squeak app on those
>desktops, especially as Squeak's locality of reference and hence its paging
>behaviour is typically poor.

Really ?
I find the Squeak GC is quite virtual memory friendly. Running a 1 GB
image on a P100 Linux box was no problem at all. Naturally if your
application constantly walks the whole dataset you are in trouble.
But then any system will be slow.

Of course there are situations where Squeak is not adequate, but I
see a tendency to shoot with cannons at sparrows. And then we have
discussions about code bloat...

Keep It Simple
Georg

--
----
Dipl.Ing. Georg Gollmann                TU-Wien, Zentraler Informatikdienst
mail:gollmann at zid.tuwien.ac.at
http://macos.tuwien.ac.at/Gollmann.html