New Web Browser

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Jun 29 14:44:42 UTC 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Jon Hylands wrote:
> One thing I'd like to do is start up a discussion about what direction we
> should go with this. I assume it would be nice to use Morphs to represent
> the actual page layout elements. Does anyone have any great (or
> not-so-great) thoughts on this subject?

My favorite web browser is the quick and dirty one David Ungar wrote in
Self using morphs back in 1995. As you might imagine from that date, it
doesn't have tables, frames, background images and so on. It used
morphic buttons for links, for example. I really liked the way the page
would grow as the html was read in - IE has since added this feature
and it is the thing I miss most in Netscape.

Unfortunately this doesn't run in the Mac version of Self, but if you
have a Sparc I would suggest you take a look at this.

-- Jecel