external programs

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Jun 14 14:03:11 UTC 2000

What is the easiest way to invoke external applications from Squeak?
For example: to call Acrobat Reader to show a PDF file. I don't need to
application to be able to communicate in any way with Squeak nor does
Squeak need to know when the app is killed. On the other hand, I do
need to make this work in Linux, Windows, Mac and Solaris.

I have looked at all the documentation I could find and it seems that
the AppleScript plug-in could help on the Mac and the OSProcess plug-in
might do the job in the Unix systems. I couldn't find out enough about
the FFI system  to see if it can do what I need.

Has anyone done something like this?

-- Jecel