Morphic polls? (was Re: FFI questions)

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sun Jun 18 16:58:45 UTC 2000

Please forgive me, "lying" was the only English word that came to my mind
for not telling the absolute truth.  I was (as always ;-)
exaggerating.  Tim provided a better, cool minded description of the
current state.

You're right that for most situations, you can assume that Morphic is event
driven.  But that's unfortunately not enough.  Too often I run in
situations where morphic behaves strange.

At 15:54 17.06.00 -0400, Bijan Parsia wrote:

>There's a reading of this which means that I, the application author, can
>still regard Sensor access as confined to the "low level", however
>annoying or frustrating in may be to someone trying to work only a
>"little" deeper in the system. If this is an incorrect reading, I *would*
>like to know, so as not to keep passing on misinformation (or, in your
>terms, "lying" :)).

Two big problem with Morphic:  The user clicks, types a key and clicks
again.  Morphic however synthesizes just one mouse click and then polls the
keyboard, generating a keystroke.  Oops.  Completely different.

Or: The user does a fast click and presses a key.  Morphic correctly
synthesizes a mouse down event, forks into the right handler and here,
somebody checks Sensor anyButton pressed, notices that no button is pressed
anymore and abort the event handler.

Now morphic detects the keypress and calls the event handler and your
application thinks you're still pressing the mouse.

This often happens to my while selecting and editing text blocks.

bye