Belling the cat of complexity (was: Ship it with Squeak)

john.g.gardner at ca.pwcglobal.com john.g.gardner at ca.pwcglobal.com
Fri Jun 30 18:40:26 UTC 2000

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. However, I believe that my point #2 and #3 still refer to
different aspects of tailoring the Squeak environment.

#2 refers to building up the Squeak image for a specific set of requirements,
such as creating a development image for creating text processing programs
versus a development environment for creating a full-blown GUI program.

#3 refers to creating a production image, irrespective of the type of
development image one created. The requirement here is to strip out all classes
and methods that are not specifically called by the program (same functionality
as C++ compilers). This process includes stripping out the all of the
development tools. The stripping process may remove only parts of modular
plugins or categories as well as entire subsystems. The goal is to create a
"runtime" image for the user.

Thanks,

John.

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> on 06/30/2000 01:43:01 PM