[BUG] Mac Socket changes break system?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jun 12 04:07:05 UTC 2000

on 6/11/00 5:36 PM, Michael Rueger at m.rueger at acm.org wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just did a full update (2310) and it seems that the Mac socket changes
> are breaking the Windows version (alpha build 1 23 May)?
> Trying to open scamper just hangs the image (in a very tight loop it
> seems).
>
> Or is there a newer Windows VM I don't know of?
>
> Michael

I'd very interested to hear of any problems with the unix based or windows
based VMs having problems after upgrading. The mac socket change should only
affect mac users and other VM flavors should see the behavior they've seen
in the past.

Technically the Socket class was changed to support three semaphores. If the
underlying plugin doesn't not support this feature then the older code is
invoked. Thus there shouldn't be any differences observed. Older images
should run fine without the Socket change since I attempted to ensure older
images on the macintosh could run with the new VM and not require Smalltalk
code changes.

The other major VM change from a plugin/semaphore viewpoint was fixes to the
external semaphore table access in Smalltalk and to remove the consolidation
of semaphore signals in the external signalling VM code. This of course
could be an area that is causing the problem too, however I ran a few
million connection/semaphore signals and didn't see any issues from a
statistical viewpoint (IE missing an interrupt). The old implementation had
serious problems in this area, however fixing one bug might reveal
another...

If you could tell me where the looping is occurring I'd be interested to
know. I do see that Dwight Hughes says he isn't having any problems.
Certainly if upgrading your VM to the latest fixes the problem let me know.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6