Cheap updates

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sat Jun 3 12:42:39 UTC 2000

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Henrik Gedenryd wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>
> > Now, if only the updates were compressed.....
>
> That doesn't matter much speedwise for slow modem connections since they use

Not to be *too* piggy, or anything, but how about for fast modem
connections :)

> internal text compression.

But that would still lose, I take it, to a properly archived then
compressed set of updates? So, when you request, say, updates 1300-1400,
the server (I'm afraid I *am* assuming a Squeak update server) piles these
into an archive and then compresses the whole, which the client downloads,
then could disconnect, and then decompress and read the files from the
archive.

Obviously, real measurements would have to be applied to determine if
this would be worth it.

I'm curious, given the point about modem text compression, why adding gzip
to web servers/clients is done at all? Do you get effective compression
when transmitting IP packets (as opposed to, oh, zmodem)?

(I'm afraid I know nothing of these matters!)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.