www.squeakworld.com!

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Wed Jun 7 10:10:54 UTC 2000

--- Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se> wrote:
> Göran  Hultgren wrote:
>
> > But I have thought about .org too, but then it would sortof compete with
> > squeak.org
>
> This reminds me (and sorry if I'm sounding negative):
>
> I already can't find things very well. There's squeak.org, minnow, and some
> people have their own sites set up, like Torge I believe it is. Then,
> several people put their updates off the swiki. And there are a number of
> different ftp sites, eg. one with updates and another with images, vms and
> such. And then there's SQFIXES.
>
> And now there's promise of another one.

Yup! :-)

> In my personal, humble opinion, another site is not solving any of the
> existing problems. So my wish is, please make sure to integrate and
> coordinate your efforts to help people. At least get one search engine that
> covers all resources.

Well, Squeakworld is IMHO a site that we do not have right now.
An e-zine about Squeak. So it might not solve any existing problem, but it should at least create
a nice place to drop-by once in a while to see what's up in Squeakworld.

And a link collection/search engine on Squeakworld would be perfect! Javaworld has a resource
catalog that is probably one of the best collections in Javaland.

> Otherwise we will just reify the impression of a Squeak community where a
> lot of brilliant people are doing incredible things each on their own, but
> are unable to coordinate their efforts.

Agree fully.

> In particular, the Squeak community is still small enough that if we don't
> coordinate things we won't reach the critical mass to get significant things
> done. The documentation Swiki is one good example of some initial enthusiasm
> that subsided. But if everyone who is willing to contribute is doing that on
> the same effort, then things will happen, and the effort will be _sustained_
> even though people come and go, as they do in these volunteer communities.
>
> In my view, the only Squeak resource that has managed to do this, and that
> therefore has become truly dependable, is this mailing list.

Agree, the list is the major source for Squeak. Minnow has been a little bit "messed up" IMHO with
stuff that do not belong there. And it is also, as many Swikis, in need of a haircut. :-)

> again, sorry for sounding like Eye-oor,

Hey, no problem! You raise valid concerns.

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 709 472152, http://www.bluefish.se
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi