Proposal4: Show := on fileout / pretty print

Chris Reuter cgreuter at calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jun 3 06:03:03 UTC 2000

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 07:46:02PM +0200, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
> [Yes, I'll shut up in a minute]
>
> PROPOSAL
>
> Currently, pretty printing doesn't keep the original assignment operator of
> the source but replaces it with "_".  It should however have three modi
>
>   * keep it (only applicable if source is available)
>   * always use _
>   * always use :=
[...]

What I'd like to see (taking this to extremes) is a pretty-printer
that is highly configurable so that everybody can define their own
favourite indentation/formatting style.  (Think indentation styles in
emacs' C mode.)  Choice of assignment operator would, of course be
part of this.

This way, we can all have our favourite styles automagically.  Plus, a
reformat won't erase your painstakingly hand-formatted code into the
default style, nor will the code browser show all sorts of spurious
differences between the same method but with different formats (well,
not if it first formats them both to the same style, that is.)

			     --Chris