DSA changes open for comment

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 10:39:43 UTC 2000

=> 5/31/00 6:52:44 PM EDT, arning at charm.net =>
<< It's in the same directory- I just checked.
    ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/2.8/SqueakVM2.8beta.sea.bin
 Maybe you need to hit the refresh button on your browser. >>

I think I've found the problem. It's in Internet Explorer. I think I'm
working with a quite recent version. About says:
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5
    Version: 5.00.2614.3500
    Update Versions:;q235666;q235667
but it chokes (quietly) on an ftp: URL, and just says 'The page cannot be
displayed'. And I'm using AOL 5.0 (the installation of which is now suspect,
I've only been using it about a month). I'm sure that, when I was previously
seeing only one file in the 2.8 directory, that I was getting the cached
version of the page.

AOL has a mickey mouse FTP client. It reminds me a bit of video games on the
TI home computer (I can't remember the model number, something like 99/4, but
the one that they cleared out at 99 bucks in the early '80s <How many
remember the Sinclair? Please raise your hands. How many owned one? How many
tried to write a nuclear power plant welding records database in Sinclair
BASIC?>). AOL's mickey mouse FTP client sees the files. So I believe MS IE
should be able to see them (when you're using AOL to directly access Internet
resources, it silently steps across to a mini-IE -- which is sort of strange
for a company that owns Netscape).

Arrrgggghhh! (Lucy pulled the football away again) They make absolutely sure
that the Multi-Media stuff works right; it does, I can get Bloomberg New
Radio (and many other things I haven't asked for) easily. Why in God's name
would FTP URLs cease to work? !!!

ARRRGGGGHHH !!!

To repeat:
    Why in God's name would FTP URLs cease to work? !!!

Cheers,
Jerry.

Jerry L. Archibald
systemObjectivesIncorporated