A new default look for Squeak, revisited

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Fri Jun 30 02:00:35 UTC 2000

Henrik Gedenryd wrote:
[snip]

> Speaking in general (and I'm not sure my ad hoc toying around is a good
> example of this), I think an interface should exploit the unique
> capabilities of Squeak, and not try to imitate something else (and
> imitations are only either bad, or at best similar to the original, which
> isn't very exciting anyway).

I agree - the realm of possible interfaces has barely been touched upon
so far. Copying what is out there now is rather like messing around in a
tide pool when there's a whole ocean waiting to be explored.

>                             Perhaps the translucency (& when combined with
> gradients) are examples of this. Oh, yeah, morphs & windows should be
> translucent when dragged--but I haven't quite figured the best way to do
> that yet.

I like the idea of having windows and morphs go translucent when
dragged; but I think translucence is a Bad Idea for popup menus and such
- indeed for anything that needs to be read.

[some ideas worth trying snipped]

> Secondly, the window titles are an unrelated feature, which I nevertheless
> can include. They merely describe what's in the window (good when it's
> collapsed or partially covered) instead of writing "System Browser" etc. in
> five places on the screen. If you want that, I can include it as well. (I'll
> leave the close box on the left as well, it just ended up on the right at
> one point).

The translucent scroolbar background is OK (but still just decoration)
by itself, but there is a good idea lurking here. How about making the
whole scrollbar translucent? That way it could be brought inboard
without actually obscuring text or requiring a footprint in the pane --
indeed it would be "there but not there" -- taking zero actual screen
real estate away from the pane contents. I'm actually a big fan of the
flopout scrollbars for this very reason, but this might be another
practical way to have your content and navigation too.

I like the window titles - add it in. Another notion -- make use of
different colors in the window title bars for different types of windows
(and perhaps in the outer window border too), matching the "standard"
Squeak colors (well, sort of -- I always use the pastel color set myself
- that or a similar color scheme would be fine). A critical advantage of
Squeak's "rainbow" windows is the instant recoginition of what types of
windows are available, and the instant visual classification it gives.
But let the window background be consistent (or at least customizable)
for all the windows instead of making the window background and title
bar the same color.

And yes, please remember to get the close box away from the minimize and
window menu "buttons" (which _should_ be together) - I don't care if
Windoze does do it, boneheaded is boneheaded.

-- Dwight