Mac VM 2.8beta5 crash

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jun 16 16:34:07 UTC 2000

on 6/16/00 3:49 AM, Bruce ONeel at beoneel at mindspring.com wrote:

> (2nd time, the attachments were munged)
>
> Hi,
> I've attached two StdLog files from a few different crashes of 2.8
> beta 5.
>
> The basic situation is that I'm running Tcp/Ip through AppleTalk
> and then telling AppleTalk to use RemoteOnly so that I can run TCP/IP
> apps while not connected.  If I let the laptop sleep while an active
> server is idle, or if I start a server after sleep I crash.  This is
> basically what is describd at http://developer.apple.com/qa/nw/nw59.html
> or tec note 1145
>
> I didn't use to get this with the 2.7 VMs.

Hi, I'll look. Getting the OT stuff to work after sleeping was difficult.
When the machines goes to sleep your sockets are all destroyed (Mind I've
noted in System 9.04 you now have the option of not having them destroyed.)
This makes life interesting when you awake since all those sockets are dead
you rely on Squeak cleaning up the issue from it's viewpoint, and of course
in the C code you've had to cleanup and track this issue, and debugging is
hard since code is run at sleep time which makes life difficult. However as
you point out it seems I've missed something.

PS Which OS, and version of OT do you use.

> The ÒSqueak VM 2.8beta5Ó heap at 015DE780 is bad
> Zone pointer, bkLim, or length of trailer block is bad

This is bad, but that is why you crash

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6