Serializing objects?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sun Jun 11 04:19:31 UTC 2000

I've been working with VAST and GemStone a bit at work, and am beginning
to want something similar to it to play with at home, in Squeak.

I've heard one can serialize an object in Squeak, making it into a chunk
of binary data for export into a file, or over the network.  How does one
do this?  How can this serialized object be read, and thrown into the
running image?

A serialized object could be stored into a BLOB on a MySQL database, and
retrieved from there.  This kind of thing would be passive, and not active
like GemStone, but it would be a start, and perhaps a way to distribute
data or classes to other machines on a network.  I looked at MinneStore,
but it seems like it's confined to reading and saving from a OODB on the
disk, and not via the network.

I suppose looking at the file-out Morph and getMorphFromURL-ish methods I
should have a look at, but I thought I'd ask as well.

Aaron
-----
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." -- Alan Kay