Compile Time Constants

Bob Hartwig bob at bobjectsinc.com
Sat Jun 17 16:06:01 UTC 2000

>So I think, CTC does not really add any new problems to developer, but can
>really help.

Here's another problem with CTCs, at least IBM's implementation of them:
The literals that appear in the body of CTC don't show up in the method's
list of literals.  This can cause problems with runtime packaging (not an
issue for Squeak) and refactoring (definitely an issue for Squeak).

For example, if I want to safely rename a method, I need to find all
senders of that method and change them to send the new selector.  If the
method is sent from inside a CTC, a tool like the Refactoring Browser will
miss it.  This will not show up as a problem until I recompile the method
that contains the CTC.

	-Bob