[ENH] Proposal to drop contentsOfEntireFile

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Jun 2 17:21:16 UTC 2000

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Andres Valloud wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Problem: there's contents in ReadWriteStream, but it doesn't work in
> FileStream because some variables are constantly nil in FileStream. But
> FileStream provides contentsOfEntireFile to solve the problem.
>
> What do I think about it: polymorphism is broken.
>
> Proposed solution: rename the method contentsOfEntireFile in FileStream
> to contents, and fix its 48 senders.

Word of warning: I'll bet that there are more than 48 senders. Several
add-ons use #contentsOfEntireFile, and I believe some "template" code
(e.g., for PWS) does as well.

So, caution is warrented wrt wholesale removal, though I do approve of the
change, in general.

(It also irks me that it's MIMEDocument>>content, not contents ;))

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.