Squeak as an "Active Desktop"

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Sat Jun 10 15:45:57 UTC 2000

All--

When creating new Screen Shot page, I was struck by the fact that I didn't
see any there of Squeak being used as an Active Desktop. I've been using this
for a while. I thought it had been mentioned a while back in the Mailing
List, but I cannot find in my archives (maybe under an unusual Subject line,
?).

In any case, the following address shows Squeak being used as an Active
Desktop in Windows:
    http://members.aol.com/Objectives/ActiveDesk
and this works (AFAIK) only on the various Windows platforms.

It's such a neat trick, that one wonders what it would take to make it work
on other platforms.

Introductory text from the page:

By use of the "full screen on" appearance in Squeak, we can use Squeak as an
"Active Desktop" when running on the various Windows platforms. When in this
mode, we can access other Windows facilities through use of the Windows
"Start Button". However Squeak is fully active, and you can execute Squeak
facilities by simply clicking on the "Squeak desktop". This active, working
Squeak system reflects its current state (windows, underlying state of
computation, etc.) on this desktop.

Note that this depends upon the behavior of the Windows'95/'98 Toolbar. When
in "auto hide" mode, it will pop-up when the cursor is moved to the bottom of
the screen; otherwise, the Windows Start Button Key (on most recent
keyboards) can be used not only bring up Start Button menu, but also the
primary Toolbar. This allows access to other facilities available and/or
running on the computer.

The Macintosh OS behaves differently, and makes access to other computer
resources difficult when Squeak is in full screen mode.

If I am duplicating something already discussed previously in Mailing List,
my apologies.

Have fun,
Jerry.

Jerry L. Archibald
systemObjectivesIncorporated

"kinesthestics :-
 the art of choosing your blood relatives."
    :-o