Compiling Mac VM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Jun 20 01:54:36 UTC 2000

on 6/19/00 3:49 PM, Karl Goiser at squeak at wattle.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As part of my long term aim of understanding squeak, I want to build
> the VM on the Mac.
>
> I did the file-outs etc, but the linker complains that some libraries
> like MWCRuntime.lib are expected.  I'm using Codewarrior 5.3, so I
> guess the definitive VM was built with an earlier version or another
> compiler?
>
> Can someone help please?
>

> Karl

Sure the current VM was built using CW 11 as the reference. But for
Codewarrior pro 5.3 the libraries I'm used in the past are:
(Note these are subject to change based on forthcoming atexit changes)

InterfaceLib
mathLib
MSL C.PPC.Lib
MSL RuntimePPC.Lib
MSL SIOUX.PPC.Lib
QuickTimeLib
OpenTptInternetLib
OpenTransportLib
OpenTptInetPPC.o
OpenTransportExtnPPC.o
perhaps the Profiler

You should pickup the latest OT libraries from Apple's ftp site.

You should be able to build an PPC version using any combination of
optimization, C code inlining, target CPU, etc you wish.

However if you build a 68K version

you need
InterfaceLib
a MathLibCFM....  (Far/near 68881 or not)
a MSL C.CFM68K... (Far/near 68881 or not)
MSL MWCFM68KRuntime.Lib
MSL SIOUX.CFM68K.Lib
OpenTpt68kATalkLib
OpenTpt68kInetLib
OpenTpt68kUtilLib
OpenTpt68KClientLib
QuickTimeLib
perhaps Profiler CFM68K.Lib

But for optimization, no inlining and only optimization level 2 is
acceptable. Seem if you up the optimization or do autoinlining you make a VM
that will crash when it runs. I'm sure it's a compiler optimization bug, but
I doubt that metrowerks is going to fix it.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6