[BUG][DOC] Setting up Linux Squeak 2.8a with PWS Swiki and Crashing HOWTO

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Jun 13 16:48:15 UTC 2000

on 6/13/00 9:00 AM, Bert Freudenberg at bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
wrote:

> This might be the problem mentioned previously that both
> primSocket:listenOn: and primSocket:listenOn:backlogSize: map to
> primitive #218.
>
> I have tried Tim's newer Linux VM sources, but the problem remains.
>
> -- Bert

Erk. As I look to see if my foot prints are there. Nope didn't touch any
listenOn: methods. Note of course primSocket:listOn:backlogSize: now works
on the macintosh with the new VM.

But I'm sure I've seen this work. Lets see it seems...  yes they both call
218, then in the VM it now calls primitiveObsoleteIndexedPrimitive, which
then at some point based on a table lookup calls

EXPORT(int) SocketPlugin_primitiveSocketListenWithOrWithoutBacklog(void) {
    if ((interpreterProxy->methodArgumentCount()) == 2) {
        return SocketPlugin_primitiveSocketListenOnPort();
    } else {
        return SocketPlugin_primitiveSocketListenOnPortBacklog();
    }
}

See SocketPlugin>>primitiveSocketListenWithOrWithoutbacklog
which then makes the right call based on the number of arguments.

At least in theory that is how it works.
Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6