"Hello World" in Squeak -> Burn the Disk Packs!

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Wed Jun 21 12:49:14 UTC 2000

Allen-

Great post!

Your post prompts me to share a challenge I've been thinking about.

Can anyone comment on what it would take to produce a minimal Squeak
image (say 1K beyond the header) that would write out "hello world" to a
disk file? Is such a thing possible in under 1K?

I'm assuming here you would start the Squeak VM/EXE with the image file,
which would then execute the minimal byte codes to call the file
primitives, and then exit, without ever having attempted to display a
GUI.

How small an image could this be?  Has anyone already done this?

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com

[SNIP]