Syntax & Sematics [was: Re: [Enough already] Re: Proposal3:

Karl Goiser Lists at TassieMade.com.au
Tue Jun 6 01:58:49 UTC 2000

Hello,

I thought the whole problem with Java when I first started looking at
it was that they had copied the C/C++ syntax!  'Hey, let's let all
those C/C++ people get easy access to our new language by letting
them think they are using C/C++!'  Who said that?  The marketing
department?  Why not just let them use C/C++?

If you copy the syntax, you'll be dragged into copying the semantics as well:

int i;

i = 1;

if (i && a == b) { do some code }

And it's a big slide down hill from there...

One of the great things I love about Smalltalk is its simplicity of syntax.

Karl