Ship it with Squeak

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jun 26 03:48:25 UTC 2000

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 09:16:24PM -0400, Paul Fernhout wrote:

> The same could probably not be said for socket events which might need
> quicker response (or need "select" to operate well). File events and
> semaphores might also need better support.
>
> The TCL event loop might be a good model here. I had a TCL expert spend
> twenty minutes once extolling to me the virtues of TCL's event loop as a
> key cross-platform feature (in contrast to Python's lack of an event
> loop).
> Any TCL internals experts on the list? Could we "steal" (legally under
> the TCL license) the TCL cross-platform event loop code? Would it help
> at the VM level?

Right you are. The Tk/Tcl event model is nicely done, and cross platform
as well. The code is freely available under a BSD license. Even if you
don't "steal" it, it certainly serves as a good source of inspiration.

It seems to me that Tk/Tcl style events could readily be adapted to Squeak,
serving as a fairly general external event system and making things like
AsyncFile unnecessary.

Dave