True multithreading, a la the Java VM???

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue Jun 6 20:36:44 UTC 2000

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:09:12 -0400 spair at advantive.com (Stephen Pair) wrote:
>Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Squeak does *not* have preemtive
>scheduling does it?  I don't think any process can be interrupted
>preemtively except via the user interrupt semaphore correct?

Stephan,

I'm not quite sure what distinction you are drawing here. A process waiting on a semaphore will preempt a lower priority process when that semaphore is signalled.

>Would it be
>possible to do something like the user interrupt, but based on a timer to
>get a close approximation of preemptive scheduling?  On a related note,
>could Delay class>>#primSignal:atMilliseconds: be made to happen
>preemptively?  If so, that mechanism could be used to implement preemptive
>scheduling.

It is possible. One can create a relatively high priority process that periodically (i.e. it waits on a Delay) manipulates lower-priority process to effect time-slicing.

Cheers,
Bob