www.squeakworld.com!

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Wed Jun 7 08:00:02 UTC 2000

Göran  Hultgren wrote:

> But I have thought about .org too, but then it would sortof compete with
> squeak.org

This reminds me (and sorry if I'm sounding negative):

I already can't find things very well. There's squeak.org, minnow, and some
people have their own sites set up, like Torge I believe it is. Then,
several people put their updates off the swiki. And there are a number of
different ftp sites, eg. one with updates and another with images, vms and
such. And then there's SQFIXES.

And now there's promise of another one.

In my personal, humble opinion, another site is not solving any of the
existing problems. So my wish is, please make sure to integrate and
coordinate your efforts to help people. At least get one search engine that
covers all resources.

Otherwise we will just reify the impression of a Squeak community where a
lot of brilliant people are doing incredible things each on their own, but
are unable to coordinate their efforts.

In particular, the Squeak community is still small enough that if we don't
coordinate things we won't reach the critical mass to get significant things
done. The documentation Swiki is one good example of some initial enthusiasm
that subsided. But if everyone who is willing to contribute is doing that on
the same effort, then things will happen, and the effort will be _sustained_
even though people come and go, as they do in these volunteer communities.

In my view, the only Squeak resource that has managed to do this, and that
therefore has become truly dependable, is this mailing list.

again, sorry for sounding like Eye-oor,
Henrik