[BUG][Suggestion] Auto correcting in Morphic

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Jun 8 21:46:47 UTC 2000

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 20:25:25 +0200 (CEST) Bert Freudenberg <bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De> wrote:
>When doing a "print it" of the following
>
>	| a b |
>	a := 3 + 4.
>
>in a Morphic Workspace, strange things happen. After answering the
>question to remove the unused temp, the result is not printed at all, or
>sometimes somewhere, or Squeak just hangs, uninteruptably ...

Bert,

It looks as if at least part of the problem is the recent change to #hideScrollBar and #showScrollBar I mentioned in an earlier post. If you are using retractable scrollBars, try setting the preference for inboard scrollBars, open a new workspace and try your test again. Or try filing in the small change I posted earlier today.

What I see happening is this:

0. The *editor* sends text to be compiled
1. The compiler detects an unreferenced var
2. It pops up the question about deleting it
3. This generates a #mouseLeave for the text morph
4. The scroll bar gets hidden
5. This sends #extent: to the text morph
6. This invalidates the paragraph and recreates it (including lines)
7. You say YES
8. The *editor* makes changes to its copy of the paragraph which, unfortunately, is no longer the one used by the text morph.
9. The text morph displays the new data with the paragraph (and lines) from before.
10. At the very least things are displayed improperly. Worse may ensue.

Cheers,
Bob