Wanna do something?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Mon Jun 19 19:43:22 UTC 2000

At 16:03 18.06.00 -0400, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>[snip]
> > Correct keyboard shift+selection behavior
> >
> >    Instead of enlarging the selected region in both directions, the first
> > selection should define a pivot point and then only move the other end
> > point of the selection.  All platforms I know behave this way.  If you
> > select text per mouse, it behaves that way.
>
>I rather like this behavior, much of the time. Preserving it as at least a
>preference would be my, er, preference.

Just for curiosity, is Squeak's feel like selecting text works on the mac?

>[snip]
> > Redo Streams hierarchy
>[snip]
>
>Anyone engaging in this should take a good hard look at Craig Latta's
>streaming framework.

Sure, we shouldn't start from scratch if somebody already has a better
solution.  However, the Stream protocol should stay compatible and I always
thought that Craig's code works with a different design pattern.

>I'd like to voice a preference for Urls. At least a wistful
>preference. :) Or, URNs. I've been reading the RFCs and there really is
>some good stuff there. Plus, they're familiar, inherently cross-platform,
>yadda yadda yadda ;)

Well, files are still common and does URLs have a concept of directories,
readonlyness, modification dates, owners and so on?  A general URL class is
another good thing but I personally would feel more comfortable with an
old-fashioned File class for now.

>There was a goodie, as of 2.1 or so, that gave a Windowsy look to MVC and,
>IIRC, included inboard scrollbars. [...]

Thank you for the pointers.  I'll check out.

>(Since were talking, I plug again for adding SUnit :))

Anybody knows about whether the licenses would be compatible?

And do we really need the official SUnit thing or can we for now come up
with a small framework that simply can execute methods in a
exception-protected environment, comparing results with defaults and
counting failures, showing that on the Transcript?

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf