external programs

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Jun 14 20:11:11 UTC 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
> I'm not aware of a general solution, but it's pretty easy to call external
> programs in Windows using the FFI.  This is my first contact with FFI, so
> I'm not sure whether this is the most elegant solution but it seems to work.

Yes - this seems like the best option. Which means I will have to move
to Squeak 2.8. I'll have to see if I can make this work on all
platforms (winShellOpen:, macShellOpen: and unixShellOpen:) inside a
single image.

> To cool thing about ShellExecute is that Windows knows the right
> application from the file extension.  So it opens a *.html file in your
> favorite browser.

Perfect! This lets me avoid have a preference dialog to set the browser
path. On the other hand, having that dialog would allow the option of
using Scamper...

-- Jecel