www.squeakworld.com!

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Mon Jun 5 09:37:40 UTC 2000

Hi Mark and others!

I will post a longer message about Squeakworld later tonight but just some small things:

--- Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> At 1:46 PM +0200 5/31/00, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
> >Regarding the web infrastructure, do you know Midgard
> >(www.midgard-project.org).  I don't suggest to use that tool, but I
> >like the site layout and the ideas behind that tool. So I recommend

Ok, we will take a look at the layout!

> >to check it out.  It's similar to ZOPE (www.zope.org) in its ideas

Zope is interesting as inspiration, have looked at it from time to time.

> >and a free, opensourced web site application builder with an easy
> >to use interface, built upon apache, php and mysql.
>
> Bolot Kerimbaev, who's doing Comanche, is a major PHP fan.  My guess
> is that the internals of Comanche already look like Midgard.
>
> I do hope that squeakworld.com can keep to the "Back to the Future"
> mantra of "Everything in Squeak."  For my students and me, I find
> that focus has enormous value -- at some level, it's all
> understandable and all inspectable and all explorable.  But I do
> understand that a commercial entity has concerns other than
> educational, and you certainly have to balance out the Squeak ideals
> and what you need to do to keep the farm.

I am VERY much in favor of keeping with the mantra - and I believe most everybody else that I have
heard from sofar. So Comanche is IMHO THE way to go (until someone proves us wrong!).

And Squeakworld is actually not a "commercial entity" - I know that the .com part makes it sound
commercial but it is meant to become a purely volunteer-effort-community-driven site. This means
that it is OUR (as in the COMMUNITY, not my company!) site. BUT I still would like it to have a
"feel" of an e-zine but with more "activity" on it! So the more userdriven and usercontributed
stuff we can have - the better, in my opinion!

If suddenly companies would like to place ads there then we will have to think how we should
handle that. But our company - Bluefish - (supplying machine and bandwidth) do not intend to make
any money on this - it is pure fun for us.

(Perhaps I should have opted for .org or .net instead but I thought that most people would try
.com as "default", you know... linuxworld.com, javaworld.com etc. :-)

> At 1:31 AM -0700 5/31/00, "G–ran" Hultgren wrote:
> >I was thinking of using CVS for content management - and it still
> >might come handy for some things
> >- but a Swiki solution would be nicer, is this a rendered Swiki or
> >is the "public" side also
> >served from Comanche? Is there any possibility that we could
> >"borrow" your setup on csl as an
> >example or something? I assume it can be quite tricky to get it
> >configured. Comanche and
> >Swiki-stuff does not really have a trackrecord of being
> >over-documented... ;-) ;-)
> >

> CSL is not a rendered Swiki -- both sides are served from Comanche.

Ok, that is actually the way I personally would like it since we then have the possibility of
adding "Squeak-behaviour" to the site.

> The images and uploads are served from Apple PWS.  CoWeb, believe it
> or not, is a simple Macintosh running OS 8.5.  It was a 7100, but I
> think we've now upgraded that one to a 7600 with a G3 board in it.
>
> I think that Jochen and Bolot would be willing to help configure
> squeakworld.com, and Bijan, Jochen, Bolot, and Lex are working on the

That would be great.

> documentation side.  Take a look at Bijan's chapter at
> http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/squeakbook/ as a starting point.  (It's
> PWS-only right now, but I've seen demos from Bijan and Lex which
> suggest that it's expanding to cover more of Squeak networking.)

Ok, I will do that.

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 709 472152, http://www.bluefish.se
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi