A different way of doing Smalltalk development (was: Tales of Dying Objects)

Gerardo Richarte core.lists.squeak at core-sdi.com
Fri Jun 23 19:42:16 UTC 2000

Giovanni Giorgi wrote:

> You can try SqueakNOS at <http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=3891>
> (for an intro try <http://mathMorphs.swiki.net/9>)
> Form the main page:
> "What we are going to do with SqueakNOS is getting rid of the OS under
> Squeak, and we'll implement all needed functionality in Smalltalk."
> It is a very interesting project in my own opinion.

	The idea is to write a really tiny kernel to boot Squeak. Right
now it's only missing timer's IRQ, graphics, mouse and keyboard support.
(You may be asking what's already there? not much, just boots and
starts interpreting the image, and executes a "Hello World" primitive that
prints a "Hello World" message in the text console)

	After this first step, the idea is to use some kind of
NativeCompiledMethod to write Device Drivers, and then move as much as
possible to Squeak side (video drivers, IRQ handlers, etc. can be built
using this NativeCompiledMethods when performance is a must)

	Imagine a driver scheme where drivers are objects that solve
primitive problems.

	Native Bye!
	Richie++

--
Member of the Association for the Protection of the Artificial Life

--- For a personal reply use gera at core-sdi.com